Emergency Services Dispatcher
As Alberta's 'Botanical Arts City', St. Albert is a community renowned for its botanical arts, its commitment to a green lifestyle and the cultivation of activities that provide for a well-rounded quality of life. Our employees provide over 70,000 residents with high-quality programs and services and are proud to contribute to making St. Albert one of the best places to live in Canada.
Under the direction of the Platoon Chief, the Dispatcher will work in close co-operation with and support all Station Officers, Chief Officers, Corporate Senior Management, Contract Customers and members of Fire Services. The position is responsible for completing duties to support the implementation of effective and efficient communication/dispatch procedures to meet customer service goals and objectives.
Specifically, the Dispatcher will:
- Call answer and dispatch;
- Process emergency requests;
- Dispatch equipment and personnel as per operational guidelines, while adhering to emergency fire and medical protocols;
- Enter incident data in a records management system;
- Liaise with RCMP, Alberta Environment, Central Communications Centre (AHS), Mutual Aid Partners, Utilities, Public Works, STARS or other support agencies, as requested;
- Alert and dispatch external response agencies;
- Ensure proper operation of E-911 phones, and voice play back recorder;
- Issue Dangerous Goods Permits;
- Monitor Environment Canada weather and provide City wide alerts and notifications;
- Monitor the Regional Ambulance Diversion computer ;
- And console effectively and efficiently.
- High School Diploma, or equivalent.
- Valid Emergency Fire Dispatch Certification.
- Valid Basic Cardiac Life Support (CPR) Certification.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, in person, on the telephone, or on the radio.
- Ability to type accurately and efficiently.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Knowledge of the City’s Municipal Emergency Plan and other emergency protocols is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience working with FDM is an asset.
- Valid Registration with the National Academy of Emergency Dispatchers as an Emergency Fire Dispatcher is an asset.
HOURS OF WORK
This position requires flexibility to accommodate day, evening, and weekend shifts, up to 42 hours per week.
Shifts are ten (10) hour day shifts and fourteen (14) hour night shifts.
Probationary Rate: $33.36 per hour.
The position is part of an employee group that is represented by the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 2130.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume via the City of St. Albert employment website stalbert.ca/employment.
August 2, 2023
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.